Skip to main content

Almost officially an ALT...!

Today was the final interview, which basically involved me speaking with the head of recruiting.  From what I have read so far, this interview is usually quite intimidating.  To be honest I didn't find it like that at all; it certainly wasn't as laid back and 'chatty' as the other, but nothing to be worried about.  Wish I had known that beforehand!  Twenty minutes ahead of schedule I was sitting in front of the laptop nervous as ever, checking my webcam constantly...

Unfortunately as soon as contact was made I began having a few problems with my webcam.  Eventually I got it to work, but then because of our horrible internet connection it kept disconnecting.  In the end we just went off audio.

As can be expected when there are two different interviews and interviewers, a few general questions overlapped...and then there were completely new ones.  I think I was mainly nervous because I had impressed the first interviewer so much, and was worried that the one who made the decisions wouldn't have the same impression.  I found out later I was wrong :)

I was asked my opinion of four different priorities within a school.  Basically I got them in the right order, except the most important, which I put as last.  If I had had a few minutes to think about it, rather than on the spot, I probably would have rethought my answer.

I also had to speak in Japanese, which I had been dreading.  And although I wasn't told at the time, the Japanese lady I had to speak to was the company president.  I think they didn't tell me this to keep me at ease...but I already knew.  I had done a lot of research beforehand.  It ended up okay, I didn't understand a few questions, mainly because of my nerves.  I found I understood all the words she was saying, but couldn't string it into any kind of sense.  Nevertheless, she told me my pronunciation and grammar were great.  It was nice to hear, and the recruiter also said that my Japanese was good.  Phew!


With all that behind me, I was told that they would love to have me as an ALT, starting in September.  I have to wait about a month before beginning the visa process.  This is because once I am issued a visa, I have three months to get into the country; this way the dates will line up a bit better.  He also said that I would be perfect for Elementary School.  Fingers crossed!

Obviously they have no idea where to place me yet, which is understandable.  It seems like a hard task to accomplish!  I'm really really hoping for Nagoya despite the lower pay, or at least Aichi or Gifu.  Then again, I said rural was fine.  Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility!  I guess now I play the waiting game!

...and in a way, I don't think it will feel real until I sign a contract :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Post for Today!

Thought I should put up some of the photos that others have added of me on Facebook: I think I look about 10 years old in this one! Terrible photo of me! I never realised my hair colour was so light Welcoming Party...oh yes I love photos. Especially when they stand there for ages and I know it's about to happen. You're bound to get a lovely photo out of it. Pfft. The colour of my skin looks weird, and something is not quite right with my face! It's weird, I can't work it out... On a side note, 売買, pronounced baibai means buying and selling. Easy as! I'll have no trouble forgetting that one! Okay, back to study :D

Sugiyama Jogakuen Welcoming Party

...it was not a `party`. Today was rainy :( I still haven`t bought myself an umbrella. So when we left, I took one out of the stand. I hoped that whoever owned it wouldn`t be wanting to go out. I`ve noticed Japanese rain is remarkably different to when it rains in Tasmania. In Tasmania, the winds blow, so it`s impossible to use an umbrella anyway. It Japan there is very little, so the rain falls straight down. I actually prefer Tasmanian rain. You`ll hear why later. Sugiyama`s Sunday bus...I guess they don`t expect many people to be going to University. I couldn`t believe how much space there was! So, at 9.20am we arrived at Sugiyama, and I jumped immediately onto the computers. Still no news. There has been no news for a few days now, which is extremely disappointing. When there`s no news, it makes me feel isolated. Once inside CIEP (Center for International Exchange Programs) we became aware that today was going to begin on a formal note. In one of the classroom...

The Final Week...

Well it's not quite here!  My 'official' last week in Tasmania will be from next Monday.  In preparation I have made plans to make the most of my time in Hobart and the surrounding areas, and of course to spend time with Dede.  We're going to be doing more sight-seeing than we've done since living here! 13th Saturday: Get up early (preferably before 12; this is a struggle for us!  My body clock is still following our night-fill hours) and go to Salamanca Market.  From 8pm, 13 of us will be heading to The Quarry for dinner, then from 10pm we'll be joined by 20 - 30 others! 14th Sunday: Free day.  Most likely recovering from the previous night. 15th Monday: Zoodoo (Ridiculous name, but apparently there are tigers!  I doubt it is a proper, big zoo, but it's the best Tasmania has, I guess).  Apparently there are some mazes in the area, but it's a good place for Dede to practice his new found love.  Photography. 16th Tuesday:  Port Arthu...