Skip to main content

Exploration of Fukushima

Just had a nice conversation via Facebook chat with one of my best friends :) Even though we lived with 15 minutes drive from one another back home, we didn't get to see each other very often. Every couple of weeks we would get together and have a dinner and movie night. I really miss that!

So right now I'm feeling pretty happy, but today was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. It's hard being far away from home.

But today, we were finally able to explore my town, Fukushima. So I have some lovely pictures for you all!


Yet another surprise on my desk :)

Continuing with my exploration of Japanese wines...I only had two glasses, instead of the whole bottom. That should tell you something :)

Seven Eleven has so many yummy looking treats! But they don't taste half as good as they look, unfortunately.


Main road

The leaves are quickly changing


Side street I've been meaning to go down for a while. We discovered an Izakaya and a ryokan


Kiso's own sake brand, Nana-Warai



Moss-covered stairs that go under the pathway and down to the river





Shopping Mole?

A nicely kept area, a part of the historical Nakasendou




Shrine next to the train station

Japan-wide famous soba shop, on the left. Apparently on good days the line goes all the way down the street! I still thought people waiting outside was pretty impressive.

A hummingbird moth! We thought it was an actual hummingbird at first, but I looked it up later on. A little disappointing, but still really amazing! I got really close and it didn't seem to mind.
Side of the soba shop

This place advertises beer and coffee, so I assume it's a coffee-shop/bar/something...I want to investigate someday


Some of these houses are literally falling apart, and people still live there. I'd like to cross the road someday and take some better photos!
And below I found a video of the Kiso-Odori, or traditional Kiso dance. We performed it at the Hiyoshi Matsuri, and it is a lot of fun to be doing a dance so old! At the kindergarten the kids were being taught it by an old lady, Chimura-Sensei. She forgot part of it and I knew it better than her! It is performed at festivals around the area, and Sports Days, etc. Today I found a print out of the lyrics to the song, so soon I will know those too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUdGXbhe-Zw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Post for Today!

Thought I should put up some of the photos that others have added of me on Facebook: I think I look about 10 years old in this one! Terrible photo of me! I never realised my hair colour was so light Welcoming Party...oh yes I love photos. Especially when they stand there for ages and I know it's about to happen. You're bound to get a lovely photo out of it. Pfft. The colour of my skin looks weird, and something is not quite right with my face! It's weird, I can't work it out... On a side note, 売買, pronounced baibai means buying and selling. Easy as! I'll have no trouble forgetting that one! Okay, back to study :D

Sugiyama Jogakuen Welcoming Party

...it was not a `party`. Today was rainy :( I still haven`t bought myself an umbrella. So when we left, I took one out of the stand. I hoped that whoever owned it wouldn`t be wanting to go out. I`ve noticed Japanese rain is remarkably different to when it rains in Tasmania. In Tasmania, the winds blow, so it`s impossible to use an umbrella anyway. It Japan there is very little, so the rain falls straight down. I actually prefer Tasmanian rain. You`ll hear why later. Sugiyama`s Sunday bus...I guess they don`t expect many people to be going to University. I couldn`t believe how much space there was! So, at 9.20am we arrived at Sugiyama, and I jumped immediately onto the computers. Still no news. There has been no news for a few days now, which is extremely disappointing. When there`s no news, it makes me feel isolated. Once inside CIEP (Center for International Exchange Programs) we became aware that today was going to begin on a formal note. In one of the classroom...

The Final Week...

Well it's not quite here!  My 'official' last week in Tasmania will be from next Monday.  In preparation I have made plans to make the most of my time in Hobart and the surrounding areas, and of course to spend time with Dede.  We're going to be doing more sight-seeing than we've done since living here! 13th Saturday: Get up early (preferably before 12; this is a struggle for us!  My body clock is still following our night-fill hours) and go to Salamanca Market.  From 8pm, 13 of us will be heading to The Quarry for dinner, then from 10pm we'll be joined by 20 - 30 others! 14th Sunday: Free day.  Most likely recovering from the previous night. 15th Monday: Zoodoo (Ridiculous name, but apparently there are tigers!  I doubt it is a proper, big zoo, but it's the best Tasmania has, I guess).  Apparently there are some mazes in the area, but it's a good place for Dede to practice his new found love.  Photography. 16th Tuesday:  Port Arthu...