Skip to main content

Life Update

Sorry, it has been so long since my last post. I can't believe the last time I wrote on here was before I left Kiso!

Well in any case, I am now living in Kani City, located in Gifu Prefecture. It's still quite small for a 'city', but now I am actually in some kind of civilisation and I am really enjoying it! I actually have a choice of supermarkets, and places to shop for clothing. Plus, there's a McDonald's just down the road, only a five minute walk away :) I've only been there twice, so I think that is a good effort for me.

The two schools that I am at now are very different from Kiso. For one, there are many more kids (which I was expecting). They are also more eager to speak to me, which I am enjoying. But it also means that there are other kids more willing to speak their mind; rude boys to be exact. Half of the time they are lovely and practice their English with me, other times they are asking me inappropriate things. I don't care, they're curious and growing up. It really doesn't happen all too often, but I either ignore it or tell them that that's not something they should be asking me.

I also have a much, much, bigger work load. The teachers here expect a lot of me. I guess I had it easy in Kiso. While I am enjoying the challenge, I am exhausted every single night. I have also had teachers expecting me to conduct entire lessons without them telling me I even have a class on. It has been frustrating but I'm learning to cope with it. Teaching Elementary basically on my own in Kiso was a big learning curve, and this time my two Junior High's are testing me as well. I'm so tired!!

My new schools are named Nishi Kani and Higashi Kani (West and East). I also will be teaching at Seto Kindergarten, but I haven't been there yet. It is only once a month.

Some very recent news: a few days ago Dede got himself a full time job! I am so happy for him. His new job is located about an hour by train from where I live, so it's still really close. His interview lasted for three hours, and he had to demonstrate his teaching style for forty minutes as well. To tell the truth, I was very worried about that, from hearing his previous interviews. But this time I gave him a few pointers and ideas and it got him through. Luckily he is very quick on his feet. They offered him the job while he was still there! It was such a relief for the both of us.

This week is Golden Week, my second one in Japan. We went to Nagoya to visit Suzuka and Manami, but Manami fell asleep after her part time job so we didn't get to see her! So the three of us went to Nagoya Castle. This was my third time going, two times more than I had planned on going. The outside is great, but the inside is boring. It does have some interesting models of how the original castle looked. I still can't help thinking why didn't they construct the inside traditionally. After the castle we went to Nagoya Dome...the baseball was on but we didn't watch it. I don't like baseball at all but I think it would be nice to see a game in Japan once. The atmosphere looks fun :)

We went shopping, Suzuka showed us a foreign food store (our kind of food!!) and we bought up large. Dede and I are going to go on a cooking rampage after this!! The majority of our money definitely goes into food :p

For the next day of Golden Week we went to the rose garden in Kani; apparently Kani is famous for it's roses and there are over 7000 varieties. Unfortunately the roses aren't quite in season so the entire park was just green...very few flowers at all. We will have to return in a month's time to see them in bloom.

On Monday we did nothing; just rested and watched movies. I hate being stuck in the apartment, maybe because it is so small, but it was nice to relax after two days of walking and walking. Today I had to work, and also tomorrow, but Thursday onwards it is the last part of Golden Week! Hooray!

After that there are no more holidays until the end of July. But the good thing about that is I have about five weeks off work, and if I understand my contract correctly I get paid in full :) I am really, really looking forward to such a long holiday!

Well I have left out many things I am sure. I hope to be able to write again soon, and include some photos :) xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Post for Today!

Thought I should put up some of the photos that others have added of me on Facebook: I think I look about 10 years old in this one! Terrible photo of me! I never realised my hair colour was so light Welcoming Party...oh yes I love photos. Especially when they stand there for ages and I know it's about to happen. You're bound to get a lovely photo out of it. Pfft. The colour of my skin looks weird, and something is not quite right with my face! It's weird, I can't work it out... On a side note, 売買, pronounced baibai means buying and selling. Easy as! I'll have no trouble forgetting that one! Okay, back to study :D

Sugiyama Jogakuen Welcoming Party

...it was not a `party`. Today was rainy :( I still haven`t bought myself an umbrella. So when we left, I took one out of the stand. I hoped that whoever owned it wouldn`t be wanting to go out. I`ve noticed Japanese rain is remarkably different to when it rains in Tasmania. In Tasmania, the winds blow, so it`s impossible to use an umbrella anyway. It Japan there is very little, so the rain falls straight down. I actually prefer Tasmanian rain. You`ll hear why later. Sugiyama`s Sunday bus...I guess they don`t expect many people to be going to University. I couldn`t believe how much space there was! So, at 9.20am we arrived at Sugiyama, and I jumped immediately onto the computers. Still no news. There has been no news for a few days now, which is extremely disappointing. When there`s no news, it makes me feel isolated. Once inside CIEP (Center for International Exchange Programs) we became aware that today was going to begin on a formal note. In one of the classroom...

The Final Week...

Well it's not quite here!  My 'official' last week in Tasmania will be from next Monday.  In preparation I have made plans to make the most of my time in Hobart and the surrounding areas, and of course to spend time with Dede.  We're going to be doing more sight-seeing than we've done since living here! 13th Saturday: Get up early (preferably before 12; this is a struggle for us!  My body clock is still following our night-fill hours) and go to Salamanca Market.  From 8pm, 13 of us will be heading to The Quarry for dinner, then from 10pm we'll be joined by 20 - 30 others! 14th Sunday: Free day.  Most likely recovering from the previous night. 15th Monday: Zoodoo (Ridiculous name, but apparently there are tigers!  I doubt it is a proper, big zoo, but it's the best Tasmania has, I guess).  Apparently there are some mazes in the area, but it's a good place for Dede to practice his new found love.  Photography. 16th Tuesday:  Port Arthu...