Skip to main content

One of the greatest challenges


See that beautiful mountain? It is Japan's most famous mountain, and the biggest at 3776 meters. It is an active volcano, but the last time it erupted as 1708. It is one of the three Holy Mountains of Japan, and can be seen in countless art pieces from history. Mount Fuji, of course...

The crazy thing is, I am going to be on the peak of this mountain in five days time. And I am very, very scared. We are going to start climbing around 7:00pm on Saturday night, to arrive on the summit at about 1:00am Sunday morning. Then we wait for the sun to rise. Oh, I just checked the weather and there is going to be a little bit of rain. Goody. I bet that means it will be cloudy and we won't be able to see anything as well.

Why am I scared? Well, I've never been one for exercise. And the outdoors are pretty and all but I don't like tramping around for hours. Especially on an incline! And although I don't like to admit it, I am pretty lazy.

I told Dede yesterday that he should be prepared for tears. Not of joy at the beautiful sight. Tears of pain and anger. I do want to see it. I just think walking for six hours is a bit impossible for someone like me.

Either way, the bus tickets are booked (although I haven't paid for them yet) and we are going. I'm going to do my best to survive, and who knows, maybe on Sunday night when I am happy back in my own bed I will think it was all worth it. We'll have to see.


Oh, and I have to carry Dede's heavy camera and all his lenses. He wants to take three litres of water so he's going to carry that and the food. I was already not looking forward to this without having stuff to carry. This new news just makes me a little mad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Post for Today!

Thought I should put up some of the photos that others have added of me on Facebook: I think I look about 10 years old in this one! Terrible photo of me! I never realised my hair colour was so light Welcoming Party...oh yes I love photos. Especially when they stand there for ages and I know it's about to happen. You're bound to get a lovely photo out of it. Pfft. The colour of my skin looks weird, and something is not quite right with my face! It's weird, I can't work it out... On a side note, 売買, pronounced baibai means buying and selling. Easy as! I'll have no trouble forgetting that one! Okay, back to study :D

Sugiyama Jogakuen Welcoming Party

...it was not a `party`. Today was rainy :( I still haven`t bought myself an umbrella. So when we left, I took one out of the stand. I hoped that whoever owned it wouldn`t be wanting to go out. I`ve noticed Japanese rain is remarkably different to when it rains in Tasmania. In Tasmania, the winds blow, so it`s impossible to use an umbrella anyway. It Japan there is very little, so the rain falls straight down. I actually prefer Tasmanian rain. You`ll hear why later. Sugiyama`s Sunday bus...I guess they don`t expect many people to be going to University. I couldn`t believe how much space there was! So, at 9.20am we arrived at Sugiyama, and I jumped immediately onto the computers. Still no news. There has been no news for a few days now, which is extremely disappointing. When there`s no news, it makes me feel isolated. Once inside CIEP (Center for International Exchange Programs) we became aware that today was going to begin on a formal note. In one of the classroom...

The Final Week...

Well it's not quite here!  My 'official' last week in Tasmania will be from next Monday.  In preparation I have made plans to make the most of my time in Hobart and the surrounding areas, and of course to spend time with Dede.  We're going to be doing more sight-seeing than we've done since living here! 13th Saturday: Get up early (preferably before 12; this is a struggle for us!  My body clock is still following our night-fill hours) and go to Salamanca Market.  From 8pm, 13 of us will be heading to The Quarry for dinner, then from 10pm we'll be joined by 20 - 30 others! 14th Sunday: Free day.  Most likely recovering from the previous night. 15th Monday: Zoodoo (Ridiculous name, but apparently there are tigers!  I doubt it is a proper, big zoo, but it's the best Tasmania has, I guess).  Apparently there are some mazes in the area, but it's a good place for Dede to practice his new found love.  Photography. 16th Tuesday:  Port Arthu...