Skip to main content

久しぶり~

Long time, no see. I've been meaning to post, but...so many different reasons.

I have missed so many opportunities to talk about my life in Japan so far.  There have been highs, and there have been lows.  No matter how ready you think you are for, anything really, you never really are.  In the past two weeks or so, my luck has changed, and I've been really happy.  Still lonely, adjusting to life on my own, but I know it's not going to be forever.  Like I said, my luck has changed :)

At the moment it's 10.26pm, and I'm sitting on a futon in my small little living room, listening to the constant rain, coming in heavy with typhoon number 15.  Now is as good as ever to get updated, right?

Most of you who will be reading this are probably up to date on what I've been up to through Facebook or Skype.  I'm too lazy to write about every little thing that has happened up until this stage, but from now on I will do my best to keep up with this!


My first 'enkai', or work party - all you can eat and drink for two hours, generally. This one went a little over time. I did karaoke for the first time! I sang Ken's part in 'Barbie Girl' :) I think people were surprised to hear me with such a deep voice. Then we had adventures! Below is my little car :) It's new!

Me in a borrowed yukata at the Hiyoshi Matsuri. It rained all night, my feet itched, but we had a lot of fun and made lots of friends with the locals :)


My job was to basically put my hand on the long wooden pole. Two men would carry the front on their shoulders and make the whole thing bounce up and down, and there was another man at the far end of the pole. The guys I was with weren't very good, and the box kept hitting the ground, which isn't good. It sounds awful, and it puts the guys out of time. I had to hold the whole pole up, so I had a more difficult time than the other girls. It also meant the sleeve of my kimono was soaking wet by the end. I felt really bad considering the kimono was borrowed - I knew I should've brought my set along!

Alcohol is ridiculously cheap here, if you want beer or sake.

My house :) I'm very lucky.


















I included this photo because I don't think it looks like me!


View of the river from the bridge close-by to my house

The after-after party for the Hiyoshi festival (one week after to be exact!). I ate a whole chilli which was the spiciest chilli of my life. My stomach was on fire for hours, and I had to sleep in my car for a little bit.


Matsumoto, a city far from Kiso, but very pretty





Matsumoto Castle. I imagined it to be a lot bigger than it was, so I was a little disappointed. Photos are very decieving! However it looked amazing, I should've appreciated it at the time. We didn't go inside, but I plan to next time around, hopefully with Dede.




Agematsu - an amazing place, only a little drive from Kiso

Okuwa-machi - the most clear water I have ever, ever seen. It was amazing, and I just wanted to swim! We ate bento, took photos and just enjoyed ourselves.





There are nicer photos of me on Facebook - I must remember to save them!

Enkai for Fukushima Elementary School. I've only been to this school a few times, so I shouldn't judge it too much yet...but I haven't had an enjoyable lesson yet. I don't know whether the HRT's need more confidence, or they just don't care/don't like me. This guy (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name!!) is a 2nd Grade teacher, and he's 21 too. When I took this photo we had already moved on to the after-party at a karaoke bar. I sang O'Zone's 'Dragostea Din Tea', or the Numa Numa song, Lady Gaga's 'Judas' and 'Poker Face' (which a teacher trying to sing along with me, but he had no idea!), 'Kabuki-cho no Jouo' by Shiina Ringo and 'Spiderwebs' by No Doubt. Obviously it was the alcohol that helped me along; normally I would have enough trouble singing one! I did have a fantastic time, which amazed me, but next time I am going to keep a better eye on my drinks. Japan makes it too easy to over-drink! It probably didn't help that all the teachers kept saying 'Lorelle-sensei, you're such a strong drinker!' and I felt pretty good about that - the other women wouldn't even have one...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Post for Today!

Thought I should put up some of the photos that others have added of me on Facebook: I think I look about 10 years old in this one! Terrible photo of me! I never realised my hair colour was so light Welcoming Party...oh yes I love photos. Especially when they stand there for ages and I know it's about to happen. You're bound to get a lovely photo out of it. Pfft. The colour of my skin looks weird, and something is not quite right with my face! It's weird, I can't work it out... On a side note, 売買, pronounced baibai means buying and selling. Easy as! I'll have no trouble forgetting that one! Okay, back to study :D

Sugiyama Jogakuen Welcoming Party

...it was not a `party`. Today was rainy :( I still haven`t bought myself an umbrella. So when we left, I took one out of the stand. I hoped that whoever owned it wouldn`t be wanting to go out. I`ve noticed Japanese rain is remarkably different to when it rains in Tasmania. In Tasmania, the winds blow, so it`s impossible to use an umbrella anyway. It Japan there is very little, so the rain falls straight down. I actually prefer Tasmanian rain. You`ll hear why later. Sugiyama`s Sunday bus...I guess they don`t expect many people to be going to University. I couldn`t believe how much space there was! So, at 9.20am we arrived at Sugiyama, and I jumped immediately onto the computers. Still no news. There has been no news for a few days now, which is extremely disappointing. When there`s no news, it makes me feel isolated. Once inside CIEP (Center for International Exchange Programs) we became aware that today was going to begin on a formal note. In one of the classroom...

The Final Week...

Well it's not quite here!  My 'official' last week in Tasmania will be from next Monday.  In preparation I have made plans to make the most of my time in Hobart and the surrounding areas, and of course to spend time with Dede.  We're going to be doing more sight-seeing than we've done since living here! 13th Saturday: Get up early (preferably before 12; this is a struggle for us!  My body clock is still following our night-fill hours) and go to Salamanca Market.  From 8pm, 13 of us will be heading to The Quarry for dinner, then from 10pm we'll be joined by 20 - 30 others! 14th Sunday: Free day.  Most likely recovering from the previous night. 15th Monday: Zoodoo (Ridiculous name, but apparently there are tigers!  I doubt it is a proper, big zoo, but it's the best Tasmania has, I guess).  Apparently there are some mazes in the area, but it's a good place for Dede to practice his new found love.  Photography. 16th Tuesday:  Port Arthu...